Friday, March 1, 2013

Mothership Connection


Dr. Funkenstein's wild ride


   A couple of weeks ago a friend and I went up to DC to see a band play that I had heard of but hadn’t until recently ever really explored. I came to know of George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic over the years from their appearance in the 90s college movie P.C.U., I knew of his connection to The Red Hot Chili Peppers when he produced their second album Freaky Styley. I knew much about them,except for the most important thing which was obviously their music.
  
  That all changed several months ago when I went into one of the local stores that were selling records. Ever since the mass market appeal of downloadable music, cds have been going the way of the 8-track and in a very ironic twist the very thing that cds themselves had replaced were making a comeback. If I hadn’t gone into that store looking to buy records, I probably never would have bought Parliament’s landmark album Mothership Connection. I think I would have really missed out if that were the case.
   
  Mothership Connection is the fourth album from Parliament and it continues the P-Funk mythology by taking it to space; a place where many never guessed it would go. From this album, intergalactic funk was born and it was oh so good. From the opening spoken word line of “P.Funk” to the thumping “Night of the Thumpasorus People” the whole album is a genuine sonic masterpiece that will make you groove even if you’re just lying in bed relaxing.
  
    I remember listening to my co-worker singing the line “if you hear any noise, it’s just me and the boys, hit me” and wonder where that came from. I found out that it comes from the title track of the album, also known as “Starchild” and it’s easily one of the best tracks on an already awesome piece of funk. 

     I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the most famous song on the album and arguably their most iconic song “Give up the funk (tear the roof off the sucker)”. This song has very simple lyrics and a groove that doesn’t stop until the song is over. I remember seeing everyone in the club just moving to this song, even some middle aged guy doing a very stiff booty shake. I can’t blame the guys if he wanted to get his funk on and just didn’t really know how to go about it without feeling self-conscious. I know I’ve had my moments like that.
  
  I could go on but there are few words in the English language beyond “awesome” that could describe this album, this is a must listen for anyone who likes tight and masterful instrumentation with raucous energy and powerful vocals that can make a party happen anywhere, anytime. 

 

No comments: